Monday 8 October 2012

Modelling a character


Started modelling a character using blueprints which were already given to me. I started creating the character from the upper body using just a box and converting it to editable poly. I modelled the basic shape of the character using vertex, edge and polygon modes. As the screen shot shows I have got the basic shape of the character, this was all done using the same method and modes. For the head I used a simple box shape and applied the relax modifier to it a few times. I found that applying the relax modifier a few times to a symple box shape will give the basic shape of a characters head. It saved me from shaping the head out from the box shape itself.
 

Before modelling this character I learned about the common modifiers used in 3Ds Max. I learnt how the different modifiers can be used within the software to create different types of models. I also learnt the difference between converting an object to editable poly and applying the edit poly modifier. I learnt that converting an object to editable poly lets you edit an object more than just applying edit poly. Another useful thing I learnt was the different ways an object can be smoothed without using the turbo smooth modifier. For example the Relax modifier can be used to smooth and object while maintaining sharp edges on some of the object. Smoothing groups was also another thing I picked up. This can be used to number the polygons which you want to smooth. This is useful for when modelling cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment