Wednesday 10 October 2012

Unwrapping


Started practicing how to unwrap characters. To do this a 3D model of an alien was given to me. First of all I started off by putting seams where I thought they were supposed to be. After watching how the tutor did it, I tried doing this myself. I found that the head and torso are the easiest to unwrap whereas the feet and hands are very difficult.


The screenshot above shows how I have created seams along the hand. After following the tips the tutor showed, I started adding seams myself. First of all I added seams around the area where the nail will be. I then created a seam starting from the wrist and ended the seam at the tip of the last finger. I learnt that if I was to create a seam all around the hand then when I was to unwrap it the hand would split into two sections. I also learnt that if a seam is created through the centre of a characters face then when it was to be unwrapped, it would be unwrapped inside out and the front of the face would be at the back.

 


Doing this exersise gave me the basic idea of how unwrapping works and where seams should be created. I learnt that if seams are created in areas where they are hard to see then it is better for when a texture is applied because the seams where the texture joins will not be visible.




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment